As a commercial landlord, you should consult your written lease to ascertain whether you are able to exercise a break option. If you can and are able to satisfy the conditions of the clause, then you may be able to obtain vacant possession of the property.

Alternatively if the tenant is in breach of its covenants in the lease, for instance by being in rent arrears, you can take possession by peaceable re-entry by changing the locks to the premises when there are no individuals present; it is worth ensuring that there is no one residing in any part of the property before you change the locks.  Peaceable re-entry is only available to the Landlord where there is a breach of lease for non-payment of rent. 

For all other breaches of the lease, you can either commence a claim for possession and obtain a Court Order or serve a Notice of Forfeiture upon your tenant, giving it a reasonable period in which to remedy the breaches specified in the Notice (the locks can be changed if the breaches persist).

It should be borne in mind that if there are possessions or trade goods in the property, then there is now a process to deal with seizing these goods as against money owed called Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery (CRAR for short); this procedure must be followed.

Once you have decided to terminate the tenant’s interest in the premises, or you have already obtained vacant possession, you should instruct a suitably qualified surveyor to compile a Schedule of Dilapidations which you will serve upon the tenant, asking it to repair the premises in the condition required by the lease or pay damages equivalent to your loss(es).

As with all property disputes you should take the advice of an experienced property solicitor who will be able to advise you further. 

You're on our blog and updates site, which is hosted by Markel Law Hub, a digital hub powered by the award-winning lawyers at Markel Law, bringing you real law, made easy. 

Find out more about Law Hub here