The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has issued new guidance to businesses on how to help their customers better understand their contractual terms and privacy policies.
The guidance consists of three documents:
- Evidence based actions for businesses;
- A literature review; and
- A technical report.
The evidence based actions guide for businesses focuses on “How” to better present information to the consumer and not on “What” this information should be. It states that effective presentation techniques include:
- Displaying key terms as frequently asked questions;
- Using icons to illustrate key terms;
- Showing customers your terms within a scrollable text box instead of requiring a click to view them;
- Providing information in short chunks at the right time; and
- Using illustrations and comics.
At Markel Law we regularly comment on SME related matters.
Follow this link to find out more about Markel Law and how we can assist your business.
Contractual terms and privacy policies: how to improve consumer understanding A guide for business on how to help their customers better understand their contractual terms and privacy policies.